One of the Gang


By Selma A. Cook

Managing Editor - Youth 4 the Future


Premarital Relationships
Walking down the street in one of the major cities in Australia, I found myself confronted by a burly young fellow with spiked hair, tight T-shirt, ripped jeans, and huge muscles. Completely intimidated by his massive appearance and fearsome look, you can imagine how surprised I was when he lowered his head gently and said, "As-salamu `alaykum aunty."

As the Muslim community struggles to cope with the migration experience, unemployment, domestic violence, and a whirl of perceptions and approaches to Islam as a way of life, the Muslim youth sometimes back away and are too often left to deal with life on their own. They turn to each other for comfort, guidance, and support when family and community fails to do the job. Educated in a western country where people are taught to think rather than just follow, many Muslim youth quickly see through the mindless cultural expectations that are forced upon them in the name of Islam, but which have nothing to do with this great religion. This dual dilemma often leads them to a state of confusion about what Islam really means as well as hesitation to step into the arena of the Muslim community with all its factions. After having failed to properly nurture and educate these Muslim youth, the Muslim community then labels them as "non-practicing" and flicks them off, discarding them.

A Gentle Side

As I sat down and talked to these young people I saw a gentle, tender, caring side that was the opposite to how they present themselves to the world.

"Why do you dress in such a scary way?" I asked.

"So people think twice before confronting us," was the reply.

"I don't like being referred to as a migrant and just dumped in someone's pigeon hole. I am my own person," said a young fellow.

"So who do you hang out with?" I asked.

"With people of our own nationality but basically we'll hang with anyone who is Muslim or cool with Muslims," came the answer.

"But what about if two Muslim groups fight each other, what do you do then?" I asked.

"It depends who was wrong but basically I'll defend my nationality because later on I know they'll defend me without asking questions."

"Do you guys ever fight with Muslims versus non-Muslims?" I asked.

"Not usually," was the answer, "It's not so much Muslim against non-Muslim, it's usually some individual problem between two people or two groups and then we step in to support "ours"."

"So you don't like the Arabs or the Asians. How does all this work?" I asked.

"I don't have anything against anyone. Everyone's cool just so long as they leave me to do my thing," came one answer.

Caught Between Two Worlds

Being young and being Muslim in a society that is whirling from the effects of media hype about terrorism linking it with Islam, and on the other hand dealing with narrow-minded cultural expectations from parents and family that are trying so hard to "fit-in" to Australian society, these young Muslims are juggling the issues of being from a particular nationality, being Australian, being Muslim, and being different in a society that promotes conformity.

"You don't practice Islam," I said, "but you do mix to some extent with the Muslim community. What do you think of the wider Muslim community?" I asked.

"There is a lot of hypocrisy," was the answer. "Double standards everywhere. So much is done to harm people and oppress. and it's done in the name of Islam."

"So you're not a hypocrite?" I asked.

"No. I admit I'm not practicing Islam but I will one day."

"In sha' Allah," I said.

"What about girls who wear hijab?" I asked.

"You don't touch them," said one young man. "They're trying to do something good."

"So you'd defend a girl who's wearing hijab if some guy is bugging her?" I asked.

The look on their faces told me immediately that the answer was obvious; a resounding, "Of course! What do you think!"

"OK, what about girls who don't wear hijab?" I asked.

"Well they don't care if you respect them or not," said a young man.

"Do you really think that's the right way of thinking?" I asked.

"That's how it is," came the answer.

"Everyone just gets what they can."

Accept and Respect

I only sat with these young guys for a short time but they treated me with respect and they knew I cared about them. There was an openness between us that was truly unique. Each one came from a different background and had a unique story to tell. I could tell they appreciated the fact that someone was interested to sit down and talk to them and get to hear their side and how they see things.

Their extraordinary calmness had an impact on me. They were neither aggressive nor showy, they helped each other and showed respect to each other. They keep out of other people's way unless their rights are encroached upon. If this happened, you could be sure that with a quick phone call, a few carloads of help would arrive in a very short time.

Being isolated in the Australian society has served to develop the solidarity between them. Family being either too busy or too apathetic or too judgmental to communicate with them, they turned to each other for solace and support. They are willing to mix and step out of their isolation but without a channel of support and communication, they do not see any need to do so and are not willing to take the risk. There is still a lot of racism out there, and these young people need the back up of their own should they be faced with confrontation.

Government policy-makers are trying to bridge this gap, but without people who are culturally sensitive with an Islamic awareness together with a genuine concern for these young people, they will miss the target. These young people can, if given the correct opportunity, be the bridge between the Muslim community and the mainstream society, but little work is being done on either side. The Muslim community largely dismisses them as having "strayed" and focuses its attention on keeping the "practicing" youth on the right path.

I met one young man who had been kicked out of home at fourteen and basically left to fend for himself. His family were well-off but saw him as a burden, a problem. I found him to be especially kind and gentle with a willingness to talk and to understand and be understood. What an untapped resource they are! I admire the way they have survived and how they treat each other and people in general.

"Each to his own" and "I do my thing, you do yours" are phrases they often use. If they meet a stranger on the street who looks like someone from their nationality or who is a Muslim, they greet and will stand and talk for a long time with instant camaraderie.

After our talk, I walked down the street for some way with them. I felt comfortable. I felt accepted. I certainly felt safe. For a few brief and precious moments, I was one of the gang.


Selma A. Cook is Managing Editor of the Youth Section and Volunteer Youth Resource Network at IslamOnline.net. She has written a number of books including: Buried Treasure (An Islamic novel for teenagers), The Light of Submission (Islamic Poetry). She has also edited and revised many Islamic books. She can be contacted at: youth_campaign@iolteam.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Membuat Assets Master Data di SAP

Automatic Posting SAP FI-MM-SD